Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Capturing a Moment Only Takes...a Moment

I like photographs. I hate taking photographs. That makes sense, doesn't it? After all, don't most of us enjoy remembering things we did and people we knew and what everything looked like? But that's always after the fact. Sure I like remembering those times, but in order to have a complete photo album, we'd have to run around taking those pictures all the time. And isn't there always something artificial about setting those poses up? (the question sounds so obvious that's its not worth stating) Anytime anyone sets up one of those photos, I think for a second, or maybe a half a second, about how this will be "proof of living" later. We stop living to ensure that we'll know we lived. Ideally, I think we'd like to have some invisible fairy flying around us taking pictures all the time (most of the time, that is) so that we don't have to "step out" of our lives to get the photos.

Of course, Photoshop changes everything.

That's why for the last 3 weeks solid, I've been editing pictures and creating some really exciting moments for myself. I figure if I can make three or four hundred really great pictures of myself at all stages of my life doing all sorts of exciting, important, crazy things, then I won't need to ever deal with photos again. I won't ever have to stop living for the required time needed to capture the moment.

So far, I have some good ones:

1) Me, steering a yacht while harpooning a guy who is trying to harpoon a whale.

2) Me, throwing an enemy soldier out of a tank while my compatriots hold signs proclaiming the end of the dictatorship.

3) Me, finishing a Lolapalooza and getting the award for it while Haley's Comet flies by in the window behind my head.

If you have any ideas for other pictures, drop me an email. Soon I'll be done. Then it's on to my life!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger traceofblistex said...

Did you really make the photos? It sounds hard and time consuming.

So... I totaly get what you mean about pictures!! The best ones are not posed, but someone always has to be manning the camera and not particpating in the moment. A pity. I found a bunch of fairies under my bed.... I should put them to work. People would pay a lot of money for that. I could make them my little fairy slaves and collect all the profits. (Insert evil laugh here)

9:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home